Thursday, January 5, 2017

Read Harder (2016 Reading Challenge)

I am a prolific reader. Voracious. I read a lot of books every year; not only do I review books for two websites and write articles about books for Natural Mother Magazine, but I also enjoy reading for simple pleasure. According to my Goodreads account, I read over 250 books in 2016.
So you'd think I'd have a reading challenge like Book Riot's 2016 Read Harder Challenge in the bag, right? The answer: not so much.

I have favorite genres that I gravitate towards, so there are some selections on here that I simply didn't hit. And I also tend to read primarily new releases, so there were a few other categories I didn't quite manage. And on top of that, I decided to try to tackle three separate reading challenges in 2016, and I was determined not to have one book appear on multiple lists.

All that being said, I don't think I did half bad - I managed 14 out of 24 of the given categories. Take a look below to see what I hit and what I missed.

[  ] Read a horror book
Failed - not much of a horror fan

[X] Read a nonfiction book about science
A Mind of Your Own - Kelly Brogan

[X] Read a collection of essays
The Art of Waiting - Belle Boggs

[X] Read a book out loud to someone
I have a four-year-old son. I read at least a dozen books out loud on any given day.

[X] Read a middle grade novel
Stella by Starlight - Sharon M. Draper

[  ] Read a biography (not memoir or autobiography)
Failed - Not much of a biography person. I read the occasional memoir, though.

[X] Read a dystopian or post-apocalyptic novel
Marked - Laura Williams McCaffrey

[  ] Read a book originally published in the decade you were born
Failed

[  ] Listen to an audiobook that has won an Audie award
Failed - I don't really do audiobooks

[X] Read a book over 500 pages long
The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan

[X] Read a book under 100 pages long
Cheating this one just a little bit... I read so many books to my son, and this year we branched into some elementary- and middle-grade novels. Surely a kids' book that is more than a picture book but still less than 100 pages counts!

[  ] Read a book by or about a person that identifies as transgender
Failed


[X] Read a book that is set in the Middle East
When the Moon is Low - Nadia Hashimi

[X] Read a book that is by an author from Southeast Asia
Before We Visit the Goddess - Chitra Bannerjee Divakaruni

[X] Read a book of historical fiction set before 1900
The Forbidden Orchid - Sharon Biggs Waller

[  ] Read the first book in a series by a person of color 
Failed

[X] Read a non-superhero comic that debuted in the last three years 
Bitch Planet vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine -

[  ] Read a book that was adapted into a movie, then watch the movie. Debate which is better
Failed - I don't really see many movies these days. That's not to say that one or more of the books I read this year won't eventually be turned into a movie, but as of now, this one is incomplete.

[X] Read a nonfiction book about feminism or dealing with feminist themes

[  ] Read a book about religion (fiction or nonfiction)
Failed

[X] Read a book about politics, in your country or another (fiction or nonfiction)
Revolutionary Mothering - Alexis Pauline Gumbs

[  ] Read a food memoir
Failed

[  ] Read a play
Failed - I apparently am not into drama if it isn't Shakespeare

[X] Read a book with a main character that has a mental illness
Vanishing Girls – Lauren Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment