Saturday, January 7, 2017

PopSugar Ultimate (2016 Reading Challenge)


Finally, challenge #3 for 2016. PopSugar's Reading Challenge 2016 aimed to help dedicated readers broaden their scopes and included an interesting variety of categories.With 40 different categories, this was definitely the most extensive of the ones I attempted.

Of course, I only managed to hit 22 of those 40 categories. Not a bad haul, but next year I aim to do better. 

The moral of this challenge? Well, I guess I kind of thought that by reading a ton of books as a reviewer, all of these categories would just sort of fall into place. Clearly, that's not the case. I tend to read a lot of non-fiction (specifically books on parenting, pregnancy, and natural living, as well as cookbooks), modern/popular fiction, and young adult novels (guilty pleasure). So when it comes to hitting specific marks like in this challenge and the other two I attempted in 2016, I fell short. 

In 2017, I plan to try a little harder to expand my horizons. Going to request some review books I otherwise might not have asked to read, and maybe pick up some others from the library or for my Kindle to read in between.

Anyway, here's PopSugar's list. Take a look!

[X] A book based on a fairy tale
Immortal's Spring - Molly Ringle (this is kind of a stretch, as it's loosely based on Greek mythology, but I'll run with it)

[  ] A National Book Award winner
Failed

[X] A YA bestseller
The Rest of Us Just Live Here - Patrick Ness

[  ] A book you haven’t read since high school
Failed

[  ] A book set in your home state
Failed. Maybe? There's a good chance I read a book set in California, but I can't remember which one.

[X] A book translated to English
Megalopolis - Cléa Dieudonné (yes, yes, I know, using a children's picture book for this category is a bit of a cop-out, but it is a translation!)

[  ] A romance set in the future
Failed

[X] A book set in Europe
The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper - Phaedra Patrick

[X] A book that’s under 150 pages
My son started to get into early chapter books this year, books that took us hours to read aloud, and many of those were under 150 pages.

[X] A New York Times Bestseller
Career of Evil - Robert Galbraith

[  ] A book that’s becoming a movie this year
Failed

[X] A book recommended by someone you just met
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

[X] A self-improvement book
A Plant-Based Life - Micaela Cook-Karlsen

[X] A book you can finish in a day
Best Friends Forever - Kimberla Lawson Roby

[X] A book written by a celebrity
Tox-Sick - Suzanne Somers

[  ] A political memoir
Failed

[X] A book at least 100 years older than you
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

[X] A book that’s more than 600 pages
America's First Daughter - Stephanie Dray & Laura Kamoie

[  ] A book from Oprah’s Book Club
Failed

[X] A science-fiction novel
And Again - Jessica Chiarella

[  ] A book recommended by a family member
Failed... going to have to start asking around!

[X] A graphic novel
Something New - Lucy Knisley

[X] A book that is published in 2016
DONE - almost every book I read in 2016 was published in 2016!

[?] A book with a protagonist who has your occupation
 I'm *sure* that at least one of the books I read had a mother or a writer for a main character...

[X] A book that takes place during summer
Summer of Supernovas - Darcy Woods

[  ] A book and its prequel
Failed

[X] A murder mystery
Silent in the Grave - Deanna Raybourne

[  ] A book written by a comedian
Failed

[  ] A dystopian novel
I know I read at least one of these, but I already used it on another list. I think that for 2017, I may do away with my no-doubling-up-between-challenges rule.

[X] A book with a blue cover
The Opposite of Everyone - Joshilyn Jackson

[  ] A book of poetry
Failed - not much of a poetry fan

[  ] The first book you see in a bookstore
Failed - I usually don't buy books for myself. Weird.

[  ] A classic from the 20th century
Failed

[X] A book from the library
Ghost Boy - Martin Pistorius

[X] An autobiography
Laughing Through Life - Larry Moran

[  ] A book about a road trip
Failed

[X] A book about a culture you’re unfamiliar with
A Sworn Virgin - Kristopher Dukes

[  ] A satirical book
Failed

[  ] A book that takes place on an island
Failed

[X] A book that’s guaranteed to bring you joy
The Many Lives of Fitzwilliam Darcy - Beau North

No comments:

Post a Comment