Friday, January 6, 2017

Bustle Reads (2016 Reading Challenge)


On to reading challenge #2. The #BustleReads Challenge 2016 specifically focused on books by women and writers of color, something I apparently don't really pay any attention to when choosing new books.

Out of 20 book categories on the list, I managed to read 10. Not so good, me, not so good. Here's to better luck in 2017.

[  ] Read a book written by a woman under 25
Failed

[X] Read a book about non-Western history
The Red Tent -  Anita Diamant

[X] Read a book of essays
Movement Matters - Katy Bowman

[  ] Read a book about an indigenous culture
Failed

[  ] Read a book before you see the movie 
Failed - Me, see a movie?!

[X] Read a book by a YA author of color
Untwine – Edwidge Danticat

[  ] Read a book set in the Middle East
Failed - More or less. I did manage this in the Read Harder challenge, but I apparently only read one book set in the Middle East in 2016, and I didn't want my books to overlap.

[X] Read a book about women in war
Fall of Poppies - various

[X] Read a graphic novel written by a woman
Nimona - Noelle Stevenson

[  ] Read a book about an immigrant or refugee to the U.S.
Failed

[X] Read a children’s book aloud
I have a small child. I'm not going to list every children's book I read aloud in 2016.

[X] Reread your favorite book from your childhood
DONE

[X] Read a memoir by someone who identifies as LGBTQIA
Honor Girl - Maggie Thrash

[  ] Read a work of post-apocalyptic fiction written by a woman
Failed

[  ] Read a feminist sci-fi novel
Failed

[X] Read the first book in a series you’ve never read
Escaping Perfect - Emma Harrison
           
[  ] Read a book set in Africa, by an author from Africa
Failed

[X] Read a translated book
I read my son SO MANY books from the Geronimo Stilton and Thea Stilton series last year, and every single one of those is translated.

[  ] Read a contemporary collection of poetry
Failed

[  ] Read a book by a modernist woman writer
Failed

No comments:

Post a Comment